Things are moving! Erosion! Tides! Paradigms! Adjustment.
Paradigm adjustment, y’all. I’m super excited and emotional to be making a few announcements here. I’m gonna save the big one for the end, though, so read through for the juicy stuff.
/Nervo/us bu/t optimis//tic.
Firstly: I’ve got some awesome shows coming up:
I’m literally playing at the historic Bethlehem Steel industrial complex. Don’t worry, they’ve got a super fancy sound system and amenities galore nowadays. Make yourself comfortable. Did I mention it’s fricking FREE?!
Stacks on stacks on stacks.
Here’s the Stacks Facts® you all have been hounding me for all month:
- The two largest furnaces are more than 230 feet tall
- From the west side of the “A” furnace (most westerly) to the east side of the “E” furnace it’s approximately 1,100 feet – almost a quarter-mile!
- The A furnace is the oldest, dating from 1915
- Dot Levine will be appearing with an incredible quintet
- The quintet will include the following indomitable personnel
- Rob Curto — Accordion
- Matthew Keppler — Upright Bass
- Frank Rein — Trombone
- Sean Bailey — Saxophone & Clarinet
- The furnaces each produced 2,600-3,000 tons of iron per day. Producing one ton of iron requires 3,366 pounds of ore, 1,676 pounds of coke and 724 pounds of limestone
- Most of the iron was used in steelmaking, but a small percentage went to the iron and ingot mold foundries
- The furnaces were last operated Nov. 18, 1995
- At one time there were seven furnacesMore info about this free show here.
This Saturday I’ll be playing at The Spotty Dog in Hudson, NY. This place is too dreamy. Part bookstore, part art-supply store, all bar, all historic fire-house, also clearly 115% music venue. Joining me will be the inimitable Stephen Bluhm and the indomitable Betsi Krisniski.
Also stacks on stacks on stacks?
August 4th I’ll be performing with The Singular Band for Deco On The Delaware. Grab the VIP package to see our singularness on a dreamy riverboat cruise from historic Old City, Philadelphia to the historic Glen Foerd Estate where there will be a day of 1920’s themed hyjinx and authentic traditional jazz. Read this article about this incomparable event. You’ll be kicking yourself if you miss this. The Singular Band – me, trombone, trumpet, tuba – on a fricking BOAT. Get your tickets here.
Did I mention it’s going to be on a replica 1920’s riverboat? Like Louis Armstrong used to play on!
Here comes the juicy stuff, friends. I’ve got a secret which I’ve been keeping close to my chest for ten years:
I have chronic injuries
which affect my ability to play.
See you soon,
*PPS. The record’s coming along! It’ll be ready in the spring! So psyched to ship it out to y’all! (If you didn’t grab it during the Kickstarter, click on “SHOP” in the upper right! Or just click here!)